I call this dish Hula Chicken because I want to do a little dance every time I eat it! It’s hard to believe that such a short list of ingredients can deliver so much deliciousness. To keep things simple, you don’t have to broil the chicken at the end, but doing so really adds to the texture and flavor of the dish, so I think it’s worth the few extra minutes. Trust me; I wouldn’t lead you astray!
Recipe for Hula Chicken
- 3 pounds chicken, cut into pieces, or chicken thighs (with bones and skin)
- ¾ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken or beef broth
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup honey, warmed slightly
- Chopped green onions
- Sesame seeds
- Place the chicken pieces in a slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- Carefully remove the chicken pieces with tongs, and place them on a parchment lined-baking sheet.
- Brush the chicken with the warmed honey.
- Place the baking sheet under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until the chicken has browned and the skin is slightly crispy. Watch it carefully, as it can burn quickly!
- Serve with chopped green onions and sesame seeds on top.