With this recipe of breakfast muffins, I set out to create a portable breakfast item that tastes great but also packs a nutritional and protein punch. While I will happily eat reheated eggs and egg dishes on the go, my kiddos aren’t so gung-ho about it. So the breakfast muffin was created! I packed as many eggs in there as I could, but stopped short of creating a super-eggy texture and flavor. Then I loaded it with veggies, walnuts, and heart-healthy coconut. The result is a nutrient-dense, flavorful, and filling breakfast on the go!
Makes 12 muffins
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of sea salt
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini
- ½ cup finely shredded coconut, unsweetened
- ¼ cup chopped raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup raisins
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
Makes 12 muffins
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the eggs until light and frothy. Add the vanilla extract and maple syrup, and whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, and blend well with a hand mixer.
- Stir in the carrots, zucchini, coconut, walnuts, raisins, and pumpkin seeds until incorporated.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling each one about three-quarters of the way up the liner.
- Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes or until they are browned and the centers are set and spring back to the touch.
- Place the tin on a wire rack, and let cool for 10 minutes. Then remove the muffins from the tin, and let cool completely on the wire rack.
- Store the muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator or a cooler, or freeze them for later use.
- Thaw the muffins in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat them in the microwave in 10-second increments, or enjoy at room temperature.
- Get a side dish of baked turkey meatballs for added taste