The sweetness of this juicy little cake comes from all of the fruit jam-packed inside, no need to add extra sugar! If you do have a particularly sweet tooth, a citrusy buttercream or drizzle of glace icing would do the trick instead of the cashew cream I've paired it with here.
Super Fruity Carrot Cake Ingredients
- 100g apple purée
- 60g groundnut oil
- 100g mixed dried fruit (e.g. apricots, prunes and sultanas)
- 100g pineapple chunks
- 2 medium eggs
- 75g gluten free self raising flour
- 75g walnut pieces, blitzed to a fine crumb (or use ground almonds)
- 75g desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 small carrots, grated (about 100g)Method
Super Fruity Carrot Cake Method
- Preheat the oven to 175ºc, grease and line your tin.
- Put the apple purée, oil, dried fruit, pineapple and eggs into a food processor, and whizz until the fruit has been thoroughly chopped and the mixture is frothy and glossy.
- Mix the remaining ingredients well, then fold into the wet mixture.
- Pour the cake batter into the tin, and cook for 35-40 minutes (20 minutes for mini cupcakes), until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack before decorating with your preferred icing.
- Serving suggestion: mango & cashew cream.
- Soak 200g cashew nuts and 75g dried mango in water for 4-6 hours. Rinse, and blend until smooth.
- Makes a 2lb loaf cake or 24 mini cupcakes