The beautiful blend of spices in jerk seasoning is unique but perfectly balanced. You can vary the amount of each spice, however, to get the flavor that works for you. My family enjoys this version, mostly because I use only a pinch of cayenne so that the spice doesn’t overpower their delicate palates. You can also control the heat by adding more or less cayenne and red pepper flakes. What’s your spice threshold?
Recipe for Jerk Chicken Legs
- 3 pounds chicken legs
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- ¾ tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 TBSP coconut sugar
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP lime juice
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- Chopped green onions
- Place the chicken legs in a slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the rub ingredients.
- Sprinkle the rub over the chicken legs. Using your hands, rub the seasoning over each leg. Then be sure to wash your hands with soap!
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the sauce ingredients.
- Pour the sauce around the edges of the chicken legs in the slow cooker.
- Cook the chicken on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve the chicken with a few chopped green onions sprinkled on top
- You can also serve hula chicken that would go with this