Who needs plain ol’ almonds when you can jazz ‘em up with cinnamon and chocolate? And there you have cocoa cinnamon almonds; This quick snack is great after school, on the road, or packaged in a pretty jar with ribbon as a gift. Delicious and portable!
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tsp + 1 tsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 TBSP pure maple syrup
- 2 cups raw almonds
Makes 2 cups
- In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon, arrowroot starch, 2 tsp cocoa powder, and sea salt. Set the mixture aside.
- Measure the maple syrup into a medium-sized bowl, and set it aside.
- In a large skillet, toast the almonds over medium-high heat, stirring almost constantly, until the nuts are slightly toasted and hot, 5-8 minutes.
- Add the almonds to the maple syrup, and toss to coat the nuts.
- Sprinkle the cocoa powder mixture over the almonds, and stir to coat the nuts evenly.
- Spread the almonds in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Let them cool completely.
- Once cooled, place the almonds in a zip-top bag. Sprinkle 1 tsp cocoa powder over the almonds, seal the bag, and shake it gently to coat the nuts.
- Store the almonds in an airtight container, or freeze them until ready to use.