One of my favorite pizza combinations is sausage onion tomato breakfast. I can thank my sister for introducing me to that one years ago! The flavors go just as well together in a breakfast quiche. I love baking these crustless quiches because any flavor combo works, and you never miss the doughy crust. Just pick your favorite ingredients, whip up a batch or two, and then freeze for later. They’re perfect for hotel room mornings or busy school mornings. Just thaw and reheat!
Makes 4 slices
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 6-8 ounces bulk breakfast sausage
- 10 eggs
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tomato, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
Makes 4 slices
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the coconut oil. Add the onion, and sauté for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add the sausage to the skillet, and cook for 6-8 minutes until done, stirring occasionally to break up the pieces. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Grease an 8” x 8” glass baking dish. Sprinkle the sausage and onion mixture over the bottom of the dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, sea salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage in the baking dish.
- Gently lay the tomato slices evenly across the top of the egg mixture. Sprinkle on a little more salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the quiche is lightly browned on top, the center is set, and the sides start to pull away from the pan.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Slice the quiche into 4 large pieces. Place a sheet of wax paper between each slice, place all the pieces in an airtight freezer container, and freeze until needed.
- Thaw the quiche slices in the refrigerator overnight.
- To eat, simply reheat them in the microwave in 20-second increments until heated through, or place them in a baking dish, cover the dish with foil, and reheat in a 325°F oven for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with sausage stuffed portobellos for extra tinge!!