I really love the combination of crunchy macadamia nuts, fragrant basil, and sweet honey in this chicken in macadamia garlic basil crusted chicken recipe. The topping can be temperamental when applying it to the chicken, but don’t worry even the ugly pieces will taste amazing!
- 1½ cups raw macadamia nuts
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless or bone-in
FOR SERVING DAY
- ¼ cup honey, slightly warmed
- Place the crust ingredients in a food processor, and pulse until a coarse crumb forms. Place the crumbs in a 1-quart freezer bag, and seal.
- Place the chicken in a separate 1-gallon freezer bag, and seal.
- Place the crust and chicken freezer bags in another 1-gallon freezer bag, and seal. Place the bag containing the crust and chicken in the freezer until needed.
- Thaw the chicken and crust overnight in the refrigerator.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Place the chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Mix the crust a little with your hands to work out any large chunks.
- Brush the chicken with the warmed honey. Divide the crust mixture evenly over the 4 pieces of chicken, and press gently into a thin layer.
- Bake the chicken until it is cooked through and the crust is golden, 30-35 minutes for boneless chicken and 45-50 minutes for bone-in chicken.
- Chocolate cinnamon sweet potato waffles would be great after you're done with this!