The combination of gentle spices with sweet potato and onions in this mild lentil curry are just the ticket for a meat-free family meal. Of course if you are more adventurous, use a stronger curry paste to turn up the heat a notch.
Gentle Lentil & Vegetable Curry Ingredients
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 3 small sweet potatoes (approx. 300g)
- 2 tbsp mild curry paste
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into chunks (or a tin of chopped tomatoes)
- 200g red split lentils, washed
- 1 x 400g tin of coconut milk
- 100g frozen peas
- A small bunch of coriander, to serve
- Olive oil for frying
Gentle Lentil & Vegetable Curry Method
- Finely chop the onions, garlic and ginger. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large pan over a low heat and gently fry the onion, garlic and ginger until soft and golden. This takes about 10 minutes – the longer the better, to make it very sweet & aromatic.
- Next, add the curry paste and tomatoes – fry for a further 2-3 minutes, then add the sweet potato, and fry for another 2-3 minutes, until it begins to soften.
- Add the lentils and coconut milk, increase the heat until it boils, then simmer with a lid on for 10-15 minutes until the lentils are nearly cooked.
- Stir through the frozen peas and cook for a further 5 minutes then turn off the heat, and leave to cool a little whilst you prepare any sides.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh coriander leaves, rice or a gluten free flatbread.
- Makes 4 Portions