These slightly sweet & spiced little thingummys won’t win over any falafel purists, in fact they’re somewhere near a pakora, and not much like a kofta at all! They do hold their moisture well, though, and are delicious in a gluten free flatbread with salad and extra chutney, or as part of a mezze lunch, perhaps with some of our creamy hummus with salmon.
Carrot Cake Koftas Ingredients:
- 3 medium carrots, finely grated
- 1 tin of chickpeas or butterbeans, drained
- 50g walnuts
- 50g sultanas
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp apple puree
- 1 tbsp mango chutney (check it’s gluten free)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 slices of gluten free bread, made into breadcrumbs
- Olive oil for cooking
Carrot Cake Koftas Method
- Finely grate the carrots, and put the chickpeas and walnuts into a food processor, and whizz until they are a coarse breadcrumb-like texture.
- Mix together all of the remaining ingredients, except the breadcrumbs, until well combined.
- You might want to get your hands in! Adjust the seasoning if you like.
- Break off and roll golf ball sized pieces of the mix, and roll them in the breadcrumbs, keep them in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C, place the koftas on a lightly oiled baking try, drizzle a little more oil on the koftas, and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Makes 18